Monday, April 23, 2012

Renting apt, insurance?

Hi, I%26#39;m about to finalize a rental of apartment in Paris for a week, and the agency gives us an option to take an insurance, that supposedly will cover some damages or so. Is this necessary?




|||



We paid for a security deposit and a damage waiver when we rented last year (and will do the same this year). The price of your option and what it covers represent the additional info. that you need in order to make your choice.




|||



Personally I think it is a good idea. I get travel/medical insurance that also covers the cost of the apt should the trip get cancelled for whatever reason. It costs extra but I like the feeling of being totally covered. An apartment is a big expense.I get this insurance from a good reputable company, never associated with the apartment company.




|||



I echo what ShackVancouer said. We also take out insurance from a reputable company when we rent an apartment overseas. That way if you or a member of your family is ill, you will get all your money back.




|||



I think the insurance that the OP is referring to is the damage related insurance that some apartment rental agencies require - not cancellation or health insurance which are quite different.





I believe they are referring to whether or not they would be covered in the event of an accidental fire, flood, etc. which happens in the apartment they are renting (in case they are sued by the owner or surrounding apartment owners affected by any such accident). There was some discussion about this type of insurance a few weeks ago on this forum. I don%26#39;t believe the typical traveler%26#39;s insurance policy (at least not here in Canada) covers this. I do think, however, that some homeowners insurance policies here extend to liability when the insured is staying elsewhere.





I personally don%26#39;t like when apartment rental agencies insist upon this insurance, as I feel the insurance of their unit should be their responsibility. In the case of the OP however, I believe the insurance is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment