Monday, April 23, 2012

What time does VE day parade start?

.....On Friday 8th May. I want to get a good view and need to be there early. Has anyone else had this experience in the past?





Denise





Love from England




|||



Bump.




|||



Despite extensive research I cannot find out any information about this parade. I cannot even find out what it is called. ?Fete de Victoires. ? Fete de Federation. VE day , Victory day?





Some people have said the metro will be closed 09.00h to 15.00h but last year on the 14th July, for a similar parade, Metros in the area of the Champs Elysees were closed at 0800h (I don%26#39;t think they had opened at all that morning) when we passed and opened after the fly over around 12.30h.





Anyone Know anything?




|||



As no-one else has responded, I will offer the belief that I don%26#39;t think the French celebrate VE Day very much. Their big war commemoration is Armistice Day: 11 November.




|||



We%26#39;ve always caught them driving home from the parade on the boul Raspail around 10 or 11 am. I can%26#39;t find any info online, either. Good luck.




|||



I%26#39;ve also searched a lot, but found no reference to a parade (except on some english tourism sites). There are quite a few wreath ceremonies: the president and the mayor of Paris will lay a wreath at the statue of De Gaulle on the Champs-Elysées, not to mention ceremonies at several of the mairies of the arrondissements. But you would expect to see such a parade mentioned on the presidents or the mayors agenda...




|||



I was wondering who organises it? I found a reference to the President apparently laying a wreath at de Gaulle%26#39;s statue before heading to the Var for a ceremony, but there%26#39;s no clear information about what%26#39;s happening when:



8 mai



Cérémonie du 64ème anniversaire de la Victoire de 1945 sur la plage de la Nartelle à Sainte Maxime (Var)



Dépôt de gerbe au pied de la statue du Général de Gaulle sur les Champs-Elysées à Paris



09h00



Déplacement de M. le Président de la République à l’occasion de la cérémonie nationale sur la plage de la Nartelle (Var)



From: www.elysee.fr/actualites/index.php…



By the way, amongst other things I found on the Paris city website, there was a press release advertising an exhibition of wartime clothing accessories starting 20th May at the Mémorial Leclerc - Musée Jean Moulin. www.paris.fr/portail/Culture/Portal.lut…




|||



I had to call the Mairie de Paris today to ask another question, and while I had them on the line I asked about the 8th of May and whether or not there would be a parade on the Champs-Elysées this year. The man I was talking to had to put me on hold to ask someone, and when he came back he said that the answer was no. There will not be any commemoration ceremonies for the 8th of May in Paris this year. He said, %26quot;The President decided that all ceremonies for May 8th would be held outside of Paris this year%26quot;.




|||



I read slowpokesf%26#39;s account of her call to the Mairie so we called some French friends and they think there may be no festivities this year. Last year was the 60th anniversary so there was a big celebration but this year may be just a television tribute. I know this isn%26#39;t any kind of confirmation but I can vouch for the sources. The real confirmation will be the barricades being set up on the Champs Elysées the day before.




|||



Thanks so much everybody for you research. I am very disappointed but you have saved me getting up at the crack of dawn to go to a parade that would never start.





I would have looked silly sitting on the Champs Elysees for hours! DUH!





Still there is always the 14th July!





Denise



Love from England

No comments:

Post a Comment