Monday, April 23, 2012

Travelling to Paris? Where would YOU stay?

Hi all,





Travelling to Paris later this year (for the 2nd time) and have found a number of good hotels. What%26#39;s keeping me from reserving any of these hotels is where they%26#39;re located. So those hotels that I%26#39;ve narrowed it down to are all in good areas, but what%26#39;s best?





So I ask you, where would you stay? Near the Eiffel Tower? Near Notre Dame? Left Bank? Off the Avenue des Champs-Élysées?





Anyways, thank in advance everyone, I%26#39;ll be interested to hear where YOUR favourite area of the city is.





Cheers!




|||



You are looking for the best - when there is no best - only a choice among great options.





We stayed near Notre Dame and loved being able to walk to a concert there and be at the river in only a few minutes. We walked everywhere except the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe.





My favorite thing in Paris was the twinkling of the Eiffel Tower on the hour after dark. Staying near the Eiffel Tower would allow you to walk by and see the lights more than once.





As long as you stay somewhere central and near the river you will be able to walk to most places, but need to take the Metro to places at the opposite end of the city.





What a delightful dilemma to have so many great choices.




|||



Near Notre Dame but on the Left bank and not the Right or the Ile St Louis. I like the Blvd St Germain and this would be me near it, and I%26#39;d be able to walk along the river, to the Musee D%26#39;Orsay, the Luxemborg and Tuileries Gardens, the Marais, Latin Quarter. No end of good things to see and do and go to by staying near Notre Dame and in the 6th.





Pjk








|||



Anywhere within the arrondissements where most tourists AREN%26#39;T likely to stay...so this rule out all the low numbered districts.



I am joking here of course as I love the Marais..and often stay there. I definitely wouldn%26#39;t stay by the Champs Elysees or the E.Tower.. Note that most of the well-off in Paris live in the 16th and 17th districts..




|||



I would stay in any of those places and more. I enjoy staying in and exploring different areas, which is why I have many favourites; Ile St-Louis, Place du Panthéon, Marais around Place des Vosges, near Place Vendome, on rue Jacob, close to Park Monceau...



People can be of more help if you tell us what you%26#39;re looking for; to visit main sights, nightlife, up-scale shopping, a romantic place, etc




|||



I was finding it hard to decide on a location also... and after reading several TA opinions one advise stood out. Decide on the sites, museums you are interested in visitng - mark them on a map and then see what hotels are in walking distance? For me, it turned out to be the Latin Quarter.





My sister is renting an apartment near the Eiffel Tower... close to markets and things she%26#39;s interested in doing.





Just make a decision! Once you get that done all the rest falls into place! :)




|||



I would be LEAST interested in staying near Champs Elysees,, and not too thrilled about staying near ET either,, I would ( and do ) stay near Notre Dame, left bank up through to border of 14th even, and I have stayed near Louvre( 1st) and that was just ok.




|||



We came back from Paris recently and we stayed in the 16th arrondisement, near the Arc.





In our next trip we would like to stay somewhere in this triangle: Latin quarter (5th) - St Germain de Pres (6th) - Notre Dame (to me the most amazing Place in paris)



there is a lot of things going on in this area, great food, too.



Good luck !



You will not go wrong with the places you mentioned anyway!




|||



Hi -





I seldom am able to plan much ahead, so I stay in whatever hotel is available when I arrive. I have discovered that the Metro is indeed the Great Equalizer. It makes almost anywhere central.





While it would never be my choice to stay near the ET or the Champs Elysees, anyplace else has proved to be just fine.




|||



Wow, what a response! Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Here%26#39;s what I%26#39;m up against - I%26#39;ve found hotels in almost all the different areas of Paris that one might consider staying in. Perhaps I can get a bit of feedback on these hotel choices? I%26#39;ve done extensive reading and research on here (and elsewhere) in terms of feedback on the hotel itself, but have very little info on the surrounding area.





And for what it%26#39;s worth, this is a honeymoon trip.





Here%26#39;s a few I%26#39;ve narrowed it down to:





Hotel Brighton



Villa D%26#39;estrees



Hotel Champs de Mars



Hotel Britannique



Hotel Le Walt





If you%26#39;ve got any other recommendations, I%26#39;d love to hear them too! As I said above, I%26#39;ve been to Paris before (well, ,15 years ago) and stayed in the Left Bank area - at Hotel Grandes Ecoles. Seemed nice enough, but I was young, and travelling with my parents then.





Thanks in advance!




|||



I just booked the Villa d%26#39;Estrees for mid May so I will be sure to include a review in my trip report.

No comments:

Post a Comment