Thursday, April 19, 2012

Two weeks in Paris - Museum and transport questions

I will arrive on a Wednesday morning in mid-September and stay 14 nights. I plan a fairly laid-back visit, with a museum every other day or so. It appears that a museum pass won%26#39;t do me much good because I don%26#39;t anticipate going to museums on consecutive days. Am I correct?





Also, I%26#39;m planning to make several day trips by train to Versailles, Chartres, possibly Rouen, etc. What is the best ticket option for me for transportation? Decouverte? Carnet? Other? I expect to be using buses and metro quite a bit. Is there a pass that will also allow me to use the trains to these places outside of Paris? Or am I best off just buying a carnet for bus/metro and then individual train tickets as needed? I don%26#39;t have anything planned yet as far as which days I will do which things, and don%26#39;t anticipate planning that until I get there, if that makes any difference.





I%26#39;m staying in the 6th, nearest metro is Odeon or Mabillon.





Many thanks -- I%26#39;ve learned so much from all of you.




|||



SkiGurl:





A Museum Pass will be a waste because you aren%26#39;t planning on consecutive days in Museums.





For the Metro, a Decouverte would be fine, but would not be cost effective for the outer areas you plan on seeing (you%26#39;ll need train tickets for Rouen %26amp; Chartres). I%26#39;ve never needed more than a Carnet or two on any visit. I%26#39;d recommend just buying a carnet and see how long it lasts.





Also, by staying in the 6th, you%26#39;ll end up walking to a lot of places anyway.




|||



We, too, arrived on a Wed. for a 10 day stay. We burned through a couple of carnets in no time. On Monday we bought a NAVI-Go Decouverete. As a first time purchaser, you will need to spend 5 euro for the plastic holder for the pass in addition to the price for the week.





We felt it was worth it for the convenience. It was nice not to have to dig around for a ticket and nice not to keep track of how many were left. You%26#39;ll be there longer, and depending on how much you expect to be using public transportation, you should get your money%26#39;s worth from purchasing for a week. I would expect that you would use carnets for the first of the week that you leave.





We found that we enjoyed the buses very much once we got a good, readable map of the routes. It was nice to see where we were going. Metro stations have maps, but not all of them have the large maps that make navigating the bus routes very easy indeed.




|||



Thank you both for the information. I think I will buy a carnet for the first few days, then if I see that I%26#39;m running through it very quickly I can buy a decouverte for week 2, and another carnet for the remaining few days. I don%26#39;t think the museum pass (6-day) would pay for itself simply by reduced wait times. Plus, I%26#39;m not in any hurry -- I%26#39;ll be in Paris!




|||



Go to the Paris Museum Pass website and look through the brochure. There are a number of attractions that are not museums, including Versailles. Even if you break even on the pass, it may be worth it to use the pass, thus avoiding the long ticket lines.




|||



It%26#39;s a good idea to start with a carnet and then maybe get a Navigo Découverte pass for a full week.



As for the Museum Pass, I would consider getting it for at least four days. The Louvre and d%26#39;Orsay you can visit without the pass, no need to combine them with other things, but it%26#39;s quite convenient for the smaller museums like Cluny, Orangerie, Rodin... and the Panthéon, St-Chapelle, to go up the Arc de Triomphe and Notre-Dame%26#39;s bell towers. Here%26#39;s the full list parismuseumpass.com/en/musees_liste_nom.php

No comments:

Post a Comment