Sunday, April 15, 2012

Six hour in Paris: Trip report and recommendations

Except from a recent blog post on topic:



amyburnis.com/2009/05/04/six-hours-in-paris/





I recently spent half a day in Paris on route from Lyon to London, so I know the dilemma well. I’ve been to Paris about 9 times, so I’ve seen all of the major sites and have visited many museums. I opted for a stroll which began at Rue St. Michel in the Latin Quarter. I stopped by the hotel where I usually stay to say hello to staff and to check my bag for the day. Eric, front desk clerk, has worked there for about 10 years, and it was nice to see a familiar face. I had not seen him for about 2 years. He told me that he had two heart attacks since my last visit. He is rethinking his priorities in life, and he said he may quit and pursue other paths. I mention this as a reminder to do what makes you happy. Life is short.





Anyway, I walked around the Latin Quarter, along the Seine to my favorite bridge, Pont Alexander, and then back along the Right Bank from the edge of Champs Elysees, past Place De La Concorde, through the Jardin Des Tuileries to the front of Musee du Louvre. From there I walked down Rue de Rivoli and over to Ile de Cite and then Ile St. Louis for Berthillion ice cream which I ate while listening to a man playing his accordion. Perfect!





I spent the last two hours at a cafe across from Notre Dame. Enjoyed Bordeaux, food and people watching before I made my way to Gare Du Nord to catch the Eurostar to London. Believe it or not, my only purchase was the green scarf I’m wearing in the picture.





What would I recommend to others? There are a few considerations:





1) Is this your first trip? If so, pick three icons you always wanted to see. Skip the museums. You don’t have enough time.





2) What’s your temperament? Do you prefer to be active? Paris is a very walkable city. You can cover quite a distance by foot in a few hours. (TIP: The buses are very easy to use, and they are the same price as the metro. You can see more if you take a bus from one destination to another. )





3) What is the season? If it’s warm, enjoy the parks and outdoor seating. People watching is an art in Paris. If it’s cold, find a cafe with a view to sip coffee or wine, check out the fashion trends in Galeries Lafayette etc.





Sample itinerary for Peter:





*Go to Canal St. Martin. (Metro: Republique) This area is more bohemian than the Latin Quarter. Have lunch at Chez Prune, 71 quai de Valmy. After lunch, check out a few of the trendy shops in the area. Depending upon what direction you walk, there are several other metro stops.





From Canel St Martin, go to Montmartre if you haven’t been. It’s a bit touristy at Sacre Coeur, but it is the highest point in Paris, so you get a nice view of the city and you can stroll past the artists in the square and perhaps have a glass of wine.





Or, skip that and walk around the Marais. There will probably be musicians around the Place des Vosges.





Since it’s summer time, you simply must have Berthillion ice cream. Go to the shop on Ile St Louis behind Notre Dame cathedral.





If you haven’t seen the stained glass windows at Sainte Chappelle (Ile de la Cite), you must if it’s a sunny day. It’s a short stop: 20 minutes?





Enjoy! Paris is a beautiful city, and you’ll enjoy it no matter what you see or explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment