Sunday, April 15, 2012

Popular Restaurant Phone Number Issues...Anyone Help?

I am trying to make reservations at the following restaurants and am having difficulties.





Le Pre Verre



-The # on the restaurant website appears to be a non working #





Robert et Louise



-Just play a recorded message with no option to talk to someone





Chez L%26#39;Ami Jean



-Can%26#39;t get past busy signal. Tried 5 times at various times





Is this user error (my own stupidity) or has anyone else had issues making reservations at these places?





Thanks for your help.




|||



The number for Le Pré Verre is: 01 43 54 59 47.





For Chez l%26#39;Ami Jean: 01 47 05 86 89





Remember when calling from outside of France to drop the leading 0 of the phone number. For example:





33 1 47 05 86 89





I am sure you were sensitive to a possible time zone change but it is always good to point out that this sometimes gives difficulty in reaching a number.




|||



those are the same numbers I have used....strange. I did call during business hours but they might not have been %26quot;open for lunch/dinner hours%26quot;...meaning the hours between.




|||



has anyone reserved lately with any success?




|||



You have to call during lunch or dinner service hours. That is pretty much the rule in Paris. I did call Pre Verre recently, but I got their number from their awning, not their website.




|||



You could have your hotel call and reserve for you.




|||



unfortunately I am staying in an apt





just to be even more pathetic...at almost 30 my mom is calling for me (she%26#39;s a french teacher).





I do know the calls were during french business hours but you might be right about actual service hours.




|||



I know that I will ruffle feathers but this is not my intention. I only want to point out that the huge majority of restaurants in Paris serve the type of normal average food French grandmas used to make everyday and many people still make at home on Sundays. This is the food that most French people want and expect for a normal lunch or dinner in a restaurant so there is no reason why anyone should fret so much and bother to go especially to this place or that place in Paris. The exception of course is restaurants with Michelin stars..but then only a tiny minority ever go there.





I have never reserved a restaurant in Paris in 30 years..There are TONS of good restaurants all over if you know how to read the outside menus and get a quick feel of the place just by looking at it..





Yes I have an unfair advantage as I was raised in France and started to eat lunch every weekday in a restaurant while still a high school student. Later on I ate both lunch and diner in restaurants when I started working (regular customers got a big discount)so I must have eaten most of the classical dishes many times over. My parents, their relatives and friends all had a cook at home so I have a bit of background in %26quot;normal%26quot; French cooking. Call me spoiled..but definitely not jaded.












|||



good points.





I am staying in Paris for just over a week and am trying to get a few reservations so I dont have 8 nights of searching.





Plus its nice to have one reserved on days you are leaving the city so I dont have to come back into Paris at 6pm and go find a restaurant. This way I can go to a bar or linger around town and just show up.





I agree..and most nights aren%26#39;t planned...but 3/8 I dont consider over planning...but you make good points.




|||



and to your point (no ruffled feathers at all here)...living somewhere for that many years probably makes someone more comfortable then someone that hasn%26#39;t been in 8 years or spoken the language since high school





you are a lucky one eating like that....probably a million americans that eat 2 meals a day at fast food joints (gross and sad really)




|||



Lucky yes, but in fact many Europeans, Asians, South Americans etc. used to-and still do--eat outside and eat nutritious meals. It used to be that, at least for a single person or even a couple, eating out was easier and cheaper than buying food in 3 or 5 places (in Europe, before super market were built: one store for the bread, one for the meat, one for the fish, one for the vegetables, one for cheeses and dairy products etc.).



I used to work, like many people, from 8 to 12 then 2 to 7, 6 days a week, so there wasn%26#39;t that much time for shopping and cooking. Eating in a restaurant everyday was also very pleasant when you are a single person in a new town.





Many %26quot;great%26quot; dishes are a clever way of using fresh but cheaper ingredients..a steak has to be great quality but a beef bourguignon, a fish stew, a coq au vin etc. can be made with cheap cuts..one of my grandma was a great cook and she bragged that French cooking is the art of using leftovers..Quiche Lorraine, stews of any kind, stuffed crepes and omelettes etc. were/are done at home with left over from the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment