Tuesday, March 27, 2012

To train or not to train into Paris at night?

I%26#39;m looking for some advice. I have been in Paris once before, but it was about 15 years ago. My husband and I are going for 5 days this August. It will be his first visit. We will be arriving into CDG about 10 o%26#39;clock at night. My question is: is it advisable for us to try taking the train into Luxembourg station, which is nearest to our hotel near the Pantheon, I believe? Then we would walk from the station to the hotel. Please bear in mind that, coming from Northern Ireland, which is not very big, we have no need to travel on the railway, which is not especially convenient, timetable-wise anyway. Besides the anxiety about getting the ticket and finding the right platform/train my real worry is safety. Would there be enough people around at that time of night, using the train, to make us feel safe? I hope this doesn%26#39;t seem like a silly question.





We can afford to pay 6o Euros for a taxi, if that%26#39;s what it takes at that time of night, but 17 Euros by train sounds more attractive and I%26#39;d feel less like a prematurely old 50 year old if I took the train :) Know what I mean? What do all you experts advise?




|||



I would definitely go for the train!



There%26#39;s a lot of valuable information at http://parisbytrain.com/ , make sure that you read the instructions which are relevant to your terminal (in order to find what your terminal is see easycdg.com/pages/airlines_directorypag.html )





As a general tip for using the RER (not only from/to CDG): before boarding any train, make sure that your destination is illuminated on the board near your platform, which shows the stations of the next train.





The RER from CDG goes to Luxembourg station, so you don%26#39;t have to switch to another line in Paris.





P.S. Notice that it darks very late on August, so I%26#39;m sure you feel safe at 10:00




|||



Personally I wouldn%26#39;t take the RER B line late at night. That%26#39;s the advice I always get from my brother %26amp; family who live in Paris although it%26#39;s very convenient for the Pantheon area as you don%26#39;t have to make any changes. Alternatives to a taxi are the Roissybus which brings you to Opera and a taxi from there to your hotel. It%26#39;s the same price as the train or you could use the slightly more expensive Air France bus €14 pp. The Air F bus which goes to Montparnasse would be nearer to the Luxembourg area. If you%26#39;re arriving in Terminal 1 you have to get the free shuttle train CDGVAL to the RER station.




|||



You can take an airport shuttle.





You can ask to your hotel.





Or you can go to this website:





www.yellowvanshuttle.com





My hotel reserve it for me for my trip in June, but I think you can reserve by yourself.





For 2 persons, I will pay 36 euros, for airport/hotel.




|||



I would take the train, it will be fine,, its not even that late at night,, it will still be light out almost.. The area around the Pantheon( I have stayed at Hotel Des Grand Hommes and Hotel Des Mines, both in area) is vey safe, you do not have to change trains,, its really simple.



I have taken the train at night with a child ,, so I think you and your hubby will be just fine.





Dalkytraveler, I bet if you actually ask your brother about taking the RER into Paris from the airport, at 10 he would tell you it is fine.. its not like taking the metro at midnight out to a suburb...




|||



Thank you all for your replies. 2 are in favour of taking the train, 1 against and 1 neutral. I think, Joan1, that if you can take the train on your own with a child perhaps it%26#39;ll be ok for my husband and me.





Joan1, we have booked to stay at the Hotel du Pantheon, which is beside the Grands Hommes, I believe. From what I%26#39;ve read, it%26#39;s not too far to walk to the hotel from the Luxembourg station.





If anyone else has any further input, it%26#39;ll be most welcome.




|||



You will likely like the hotel, as you know it is right beside the Hotel Des Grand Hommes, and is owned by same owners I beleive.. ( very nice staff ). The rooms are a small , but ours was very pretty. The location is very convenient,, yet nice and quiet too!




|||



Just remember the trains stop service between 11:30-12 pm! If your plane is late or you are delayed for whatever reason just beware of that problem.





I would not depend on a shuttle that late at night because their main office is closed and if you have a problem there is no one to speak with.





A Taxi will cost you a little more for the night rate but on the other hand you probably not encounter traffic.




|||



one of the things we have done when flying out of CDG is spend the last night at the airport hotel and train into town for dinner -- so we have been on the RER late at night many times with no issues. and once in the Latin Quarter it is an easy stroll to your hotel




|||



Oh, Graceh9, that%26#39;s good to know. Thanks. Just %26quot;talking%26quot; about my trip on here is making me happy with anticipation. I%26#39;m becoming braver about the idea of taking the train from cdg.





By the way, OhadB, thank you for the links.




|||



By RER B it%26#39;s a direct ride (no transfers) and about a 5 min. walk from the Luxembourg station to your hotel, I%26#39;d take advantage of that.



Board the last cars at CDG and at Lux station take the Bd St-Michel and Guy Lussac exit. When taking the metro or RER always keep your tickets until you exit at final destination.



No comments:

Post a Comment