Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bateaux Mouches

I am trying to decide if going on an evening dinner cruise on the seine is worth it. I think i have two choices and am just looking for some input.



Pont de L%26#39;Alma



Bateaux Parisiens





which one is better? Is the food good?




|||



this is a tough one, since it is so subjective,, but this is my two cents.





An evening cruise is delightful,, but, I would not choose to pay extra for a dinner cruise. The food just would not be worth it to me. They do not really cook food on the boat, they reheat food ,, and it is at best banquet food. Now, it has been my experience that some people like this ,, and do not mind paying alot of money for that type of food. I am not one of them. I agree the cruise itself is fun though, and I have taken them,, but not the dinner cruises.





There is an exception, but, I cannot speak from direct experience on this, but, I have seen posts on a dinner cruise that seems a bit higher end,, and perhaps a better overall experience.





I think it was on something called %26quot; Yachts of Paris%26quot; but perhaps if you do a search onsite here you can find the posts on it.





Also,, there is a post on here about a lovely restaurant barge that looks like a fair place for a lunch with wine,, overlooking the water. I will try and find that site for you.




|||



I equate it to buying beer or overpriced food at any sporting event, concert etc..





yes its overpriced...but dont people realize its the experience as much as anything...sometimes a romantic dinner even if the food isnt great is more memorable than a jammed boat full of people trying to take pictures and inch over to get a view....





my piece of advice...read but dont go purely on any posters comments...b/c its just one persons opinion...if you want to go....







go.




|||



I%26#39;m curious here, because the Bateaux Mouches (company at the Pont de l%26#39;Alma) website specifically states that %26quot;each of our 5 boat restaurants has its own kitchen, a Chef and a team of professionals. The Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches makes it a point of honour to only serve dishes made from products which are selected each morning and are cooked to order%26quot;, so it sounds as if they are guilty of misrepresentation if Joan1 is correct that the food is simply re-heated.



According to the menu I found, the dinner cruise is a four course meal with hors d%26#39;oeuvre, aperitif and all wine included, so it%26#39;s not quite as expensive as it looks at first glance.



I%26#39;ve no experience of Bateaux Mouches, but we%26#39;ve taken the Bateaux Parisiens lunch cruise and I%26#39;d go again :-)




|||



whats funny is people apparently expect dinner on a boat to be as good as some restaurant in paris with famous chef thats been open for 50 years....





its not like some deli sandwhich so yes it might not be apples to apples...but it sure isn%26#39;t apples to brussle sprouts.




|||



There are different opinions on this (as you can see), here%26#39;s a link on the topic tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k27243…




|||



funny people say dinner/cruise lunch meals are overpriced then drop $20 on a beer so they have a view of the ET...or $50 on a cab ride when a metro ride is just as easy/fast





I just find some logic so interesting....to each their own...i am weird in my own right so I cant point any fingers..




|||



You might want to read the second review about the food served on boat.





tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d188…





I recommend that you take a cruise but forgo the dinner cruise. There are much better places to eat.




|||



Hopefully, you can find reviews by people with actual personal experience.





For sure, you read/hear that dinner cruises are overpriced with less than %26quot;worth it%26quot; food.





We%26#39;ve never gone on a dinner cruise in Paris, because we%26#39;d rather be outdoors enjoying the views than dining inside, but we%26#39;ve gone on excellent dinner cruises elsewhere with very good food and music.





Friends have reported excellent experiences on Yachts de Paris dinner cruises. Outstanding food (highly regarded Chef on board), wonderful service, great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment