Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Smoking Ban in Taxis

I know that Paris passed a smoking ban in public places like restaurants. Was it extended to taxi cabs too?




|||



For whom? Even before the general smoking ban, it was very rare to find a taxi driver who would let passengers smoke.





I have taken several cabs lately where it was obvious that the driver did not extend the ban to himself. I%26#39;m not sure that the law applies to the drivers.




|||



Maybe I was unlucky, but almost every cab I took had that cigarette smoke stench in it.




|||



Yes, taxis are considered as a public transportation AND as working space as well, so smoking has been banned in taxis from January 1st of 2008; here is the law (French only, I%26#39;m sorry):



loi-anti-tabac.net/pdf/le-nouveau-decret.pdf




|||



It must be the remnants of the smoke that a previous passenger or even the cab driver had that you smelled. Recently I had not noticed smoky odor in the cabs we%26#39;ve taken.




|||



Who cares if the taxi smelled of smoke? As long as the driver is not blowing smoke directly into your face, what does it matter??




|||



Who cares? I care.




|||



pixfield, for heavin%26#39;s sake, it%26#39;s just a taxi ride. You are in their country, not yours. People in France smoke a lot. Deal with it. You go there because you like it, so who cares if the cab stinks of someone else%26#39;s smoke? I know you care about the smell, but on a certain level, how bad is it? There are way worse things that you can smell in taxis here in NA.




|||



While I agree with the ban, I do get the odd moment when nostalgia kicks in. I remember days of old when entering any Metro meant experiencing the overwhelming whiff of Gitanes (smoking was ended on the Metro long before the more recent general ban). It was so quintessentially Parisian.

No comments:

Post a Comment