Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Coming from Strasbourg, flying out next day from CDG.

Hello, just wondering if it%26#39;s worth overnighting in Paris for one night, or if there is a nice, small town (Roissy?) near the airport we can stay at.





I%26#39;ve been a few times now to Paris, but I%26#39;m more concerned with the early morning rush to get to CDG Airport (I remember it being quite far out from the city) or if there is a nice, closer alternative without staying in an industrial, airport-like area. (I%26#39;d love a proper cafe for breakfast, maybe some neat stores, etc.) We%26#39;d probably take the TGV from Strasbourg on a Sunday afternoon to fly out Monday at noon.





Thanks!




|||



You could take the 6h11 TGV departure from Strasbourg on Monday which reaches CDG at 8h43 which will give you plenty of time to check in for your flight.





Otherwise you could stay in Paris or Roissy (it%26#39;s not particularly large) and reach the airport by 9h00 (about an hour away) to be in place for a noon departure.




|||



Thanks! I%26#39;m starting to consider that.





I was hoping to avoid travelling all day like that, but it seems like an easier option than going into Paris, then getting back to the airport the next day.





I may even just look at leaving late Sunday from Strasbourg and then staying somewhere in the airport area just overnight.





All I was hoping was that there would be somewhere nice, much closer to the airport, i.e. the town of Horley near London Gatwick airport. Being it a Sunday though, most places would probably be closed anyway I suppose.




|||



Hi Urbanfoodie



I would tend to agree: get the relaxing TGV train from Strasbourg direct to CDG ( I do this pretty regularly for business). If you really do want to make the most of the trip, you could always come back and stay at Chantilly just north of CDG. There is a beautiful chateau in the forest and the town itself is very up-market.





Sorry: I cant suggest any of the hotels there (except one VERY up-scale one) but its worth looking at. My guess is a cab to/from CDG is about €20 each way.




|||



Thanks again, looks like we will take the 6:11 straght to CDG airport. The final decision was made when I realized we couldn%26#39;t get a room for under 99 euro near CDG and our place in Strasbourg is 66/night. Plus we won%26#39;t have to deal with airport shuttles or taxis.




|||



That should work out great for you and then you can spend your last day in Strasbourg renting a car and driving though the Black Forest. (its and easy drive)




|||



Rather than touring the Black Forest (in Germany), quite a longish way from Strasbourg as the roads to interesting places in the Schwartz Wald are twisting this way and that way..why not drive around Alsace? or even take a train to nearby Colmar, an interesting old town, birthplace of Bartholdi, the %26quot;father%26quot; of the Statue of Liberty.



I was stationed for 2 1/2 years in various places in the Black Forest and was driven many times to Strasbourg to take trains to Paris and other parts of France so I know how long it takes..




|||



Colmar is the plan, actually. I had spent some time researching maybe Basel or into Germany, but nothing really appealed to me to go taht far out of my way. We are starting off in Lille, then staying in Leuven, Belgium (with maybe a side trip to Mechelen) then off to Strasbourg/Colmar. By that point, I think we will have had enough sightseeing :D




|||



Try to follow the wine route.

No comments:

Post a Comment