Thursday, March 29, 2012

Loire area

Hi





Any Suggestions?



We are leaving Eymet in France and travelling back to Calais. We are travelling by Motorbike and find that about 250 miles is about the most miles we like to travel in one stretch .



We have two nights to stop and enjoy between these two desinations, any ideas?



We like water, a town big enough to enjoy a wander in the evenings and find a nice meal and watering hole.





Many Thanks






|||



Saumur is a good choice, and makes a nice overnight stop, I will try and find the details of the Chambre D%26#39;hote I once stayed at, like a little %26#39;mansion%26#39; within the city, they let me park my motorbike in their very decorative bicycle %26#39;shed%26#39;!!



From there it was an easy walk into the lovely city centre, where lots of good restaurants abound. Saumur Chateau is high on a hill, overlooking the city, but worth climbing up to for a visit if you decide to stay for a couple of days.



You might also like to visit the Cadre Noir at the National Riding Centre of France:



http://www.cadrenoir.fr/en/index



YES!! I have dug out my old touring books of France, and found the Chambre D%26#39;hote for you, it%26#39;s called La Bouere Salee, and is a very pretty place, The hosts are the same as when I stayed (but that was more than 10 years ago - cripes!!) They now have a website which I have found, it still looks just as lovely!:



http://labouere.ifrance.com/





Tours would make a %26#39;logical%26#39; stopping place on a direct route from Eymet to Calais, but I have not stayed there, just mosey%26#39;d through on the river road on me motorbike, so can%26#39;t really comment.





Blois I have stayed in, and again found it to be a very interesting City. The Etap Hotel is virtually right next to Blois Chateau, although parking is limited, I%26#39;m sure they would find you a place for a motorbike.



etaphotel.com/gb/…index.shtml



I stayed in the Hotel du Renaissance (I have reviewed it) which is opposite the Etap. The Hotel is pretty %26#39;hostel%26#39; like, but the staff there are so friendly and helpful, that this far outweighs some of the more %26#39;grot%26#39; aspects of the building IMO:



tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187119-d2860…



As well as visiting Blois Chateau, you can follow any of the 4 walking tours of the city, all are interesting and well marked by bronze %26#39;studs%26#39; in the pavements. Pick up directions for these walks at the Tourist Office, which is right by the Chateau.





IF you want a second night%26#39;s stopping place, I%26#39;d recommend heading north from there and going a bit %26#39;off-route%26#39; to Arromanches - you will be at the seaside, so plenty of water there, and several decent Restaurants. You can see the Mulberry Harbour, and next day walk up hill to the 360%26#39; Cinema and just get fantastic views over the Coastline.



Bikers HAVE to stay at the Normandy Beach, and enjoy all that the nutty Adrian has to offer:



http://www.normandybeach.co.uk/



Yes, I biked it there too, but not too long after they had first opened, it was good, if %26#39;disorganised%26#39; then (back in 2004) and seems to be going really strong. In fact, the owners rightly deserve success with this fab place.





I hope these suggestions are of use, see you out there on the A12 some time!!




|||



Thanks EssexWanderer





Has given me some ideas to work on.





Usually we try to avoid the A12 and travel alongside roads.




|||



Yep, the A12 is a bore, innit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment