Thursday, March 29, 2012

Guided Louvre Tours

Since neither my girlfriend or I know really anything about art and have never been to Paris is it a good idea to purchase a tour of the Louvre in advance (any companies recommended?) or is it possible to just show up and there are tour guides waiting outside (similar to the Vatican)? Or should we just wing it and get ourselves one of those audio walking tours that they sell for a couple euros?





Thanks




|||



Michael Osman (an American artist living in Paris) gives wonderful tours of Musee du Louvre (and all over Paris). Parisfind@aol.com




|||



Ask at the information desk for a map in %26quot;English%26quot; if they are out ask for the %26quot;English%26quot; stroller map (uses elevators) for the museum.





I would just wing it because the museum is so large you will have to come back to really see it all. You can tour it yourself at your own pace. The audio guides are great too.





The Louvre book store sells a guide books in English.





I have been to Louvre so many times and I have yet to take a guided tour.





Posters here will recommend what to see.





I like to visit: the Objects of Art area, Napoleon Hall, Medieval area (basement), Crown Jewels, French Painter, Venus de Milo, the Mona Lisa, Sculptures, and Egyptian Antiquites to list a few!





Have a wonderful time!




|||



Rick Steves has a %26quot;highlights%26quot; self guided tour in his book (and I think something you can download to MP3}



I did Paris Walks tour -15euro -excellent but it was my 3rd. visit and this tour went to different parts of the museum than usual.



If you chose to go on your own the evening hours (Wed and Fri. until 9:45pm)) are less crowded.




|||



Have you looked at the Louvre web site for a preview ....virtual tour?





www.louvre.fr/llv/musee/visite_virtuelle.jsp…




|||



I used the %26#39;Accessible self-guided tour: %26quot;Masterpieces of the Louvre%26quot;%26#39;. Go to http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp - you can access it from that page. I printed it out before I went and found it interesting.




|||



Since you have never been, I know you want to do and see as much as you can. I would suggest for a first Louvre visit take the English speaking tour. They previously were not sold thru the normal ticket windows, but you went into a hallway behind these ticket windows and booked there. They offer only a few tours a day in English and offer other languages. The tour is about 1 1/2 hours and you get a sample of the art with a tiny lecture about each piece. I would suggest you book a day or so ahead. You need a regular ticket and this special tour ticket.The groups when I have gone had maybe 25 people. Then after the 1 1/2 hour tour if you still want to see more, just continue wandering the museum



Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment